In recent years the art of crafting and DIY has made a spectacular comeback. Shops featuring vintage and handmade items with a modern twist are popping up in every town. Steampunk and its crafting ideals are also on the rise. If you are looking for something new and exciting to feature in a program, try some of these ideas featured in YALSA's blog. You can create an experience centered around any book with crafts for your kids. Nail art, cross-stitching, or just creating some decorations for Halloween or from book ideas. I think you'll find more enthusiasm for for the library when your audience can get their hands dirty doing it.Sources
http://yalsa.ala.org/blog/2012/10/15/teen-read-week-ideas-crafting-it-came-from-the-library/#more-20533
Image
http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/
Crafting is an excellent thing to do in the library, and since I am a high school librarian, we encourage students to do it often. It actually takes the form of projects on large boards but they usually use all the materials we have at their disposal. I would say that if we made an effort to pinpoint some good project ideas and connect them to some great, inspiring titles, we could have a smash of a crafting event! I think the trick is picking something that you feel will resonate with teens or kids, and that you feel confident you can pull off or get someone who can. Even simple holiday decorations could work if presented the right way like you mention above for Halloween. This definitely needs to be done!
ReplyDelete